From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:40:20 -0800
Ravi Narsimhan asks:

> According to this, [Perlman] played Messiaen in South Florida to tepid
> applause and lectured the audience for not appreciating the piece.
> Which he then played again.
>
> So, applause is now required?
>
> Why would any audience put up with this kind of patronizing?

Two separate questions, requiring two separate answers.

1.  I, too, am very disturbed by the Required Standing O.  I feel I've
paid for the privilege of expressing my opinion.

2.  Perhaps an audience that, rather than have their prejudices
or instantaneous conclusions flattered, prefer to learn something.
And, by the way, they paid for the privilege of walking out.

Steve Schwartz