From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 16:28:20 -0400
Donald Clarke responds to Bert Bailey:

>>Mine are the Brilliant Classics versions, with Bohdan Warchall conducting
>>the Slovak Chamber Orchestra, and Ivan Sokol on the instrument.
>
>Thanks for the info.  I have yet to be disappointed in a Brilliant
>Classics set, tho I have to get them from Canada or Britain.  They
>are hard to find in the USA.

I have two sets.  The Preston/Menuhin on modern instruments, missing
only 16.  A little straight, but quite good.  And Tachezi/Harnoncourt
with HIP, but just op 4 & 7. More exciting.  with Tachezi doing a lot
more embellishing.  A bit rough in the orchestra, but compelling
nonetheless.  I'm not entirely sold on either and am looking about.
I've heard good things about Malcolm and (I think) Marriner on Argo,
but something tells me I had this once and sold it.

Roger Hecht