From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 18:25:00 PDT
I recently obtained the Naxos disc containing the opus 51, nos. 1 & 2
string quartets performed by the Quatuor Ludwig.  I'm not an expert on
this repertoire, but I am familiar with a few versions.

Listening to the Quartuor Ludwig was a great pleasure for me.  I'm enjoying
this recording more than the others I know.  The performers are outstanding
in the more lyrical passages, and also build up an appropriate amount of
steam when warranted.

It could be that I've been in just the right mood for the Brahms string
quartets, and other versions would have sounded as good or better.  But I
have my doubts.  Other versions have been too "rich" and dramatic for my
tastes.  The Quartuor Ludwig, without sacrificing any of the drama in the
works (imho), makes me a true believer in these works.

Don Satz