From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:45:54 -0600
Karl Miller:

>Should public education give the public only what it wants?

No. But public education and public radio are not the same thing, nor
do they have the same goals.  NPR had at one time early on, a heavy
educational goal.  Public television still has that goal fairly well
in place as far as I can see, but radio has changed.

It is, primarily, an entertainment medium, albeit a somewhat more
sophisticated one than network or cable broadcasting.  That entertainment
is paid for in large portion by either corporate grants or pledges from
individuals.  As for the corporations, their goal is to use their
charitible dollars in the way that best satisfies their clients and
shareholders, and therefore, they in the long run are a voice that
reflects the public's tastes.

So, I say again, since the public pays for public radio, they should get
what they want.

Kevin