From:
Kar-Ming Chong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 08:29:09 +0800
James Kearney wrote:

>What CD covers have made you go "Ugh!"?

Funny you should mention this because I was thinking about CD covers last
night. Let's start with recent releases:

(1) Chopin Piano Concerto 1 & 2 - Argerich/Dutoit - no attempt by EMI to
put on a decent cover. In fact, if my suspicions are right, I'd say the
cover is the same cover for another of Argerich's recent EMI release (of
Bartok's Piano Concerto, Prokofiev Piano Concerto). I basically detest
labels who recycle their covers and pictures ad nauseam. An example -
Murray Perahia's recent release of Bach's English Suites.

(2) Basically any CD cover that shows only half of the artist's face.

On the other hand, there are few good CD covers:

(1) Bach - Cello Suites - Rostropovich (EMI - a Dali sketch of Rostropovich
playing the cello) and also Yo-Yo Ma (Sony - the second one - silhoutte of
Ma - pensive in a non-pretentious way).

(2) Argerich - Rach 3 and Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto 1 on Philips.

(3) Britten - War Requiem - composer - Decca - simple yet effective

(4) Bach - Goldberg Variations - Gavrilov - DG

Cheers
Kar Ming