From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:04:08 +1000
Jim Tobin:

>Quite a bit of Hahn's music has been recorded, as a cursory glance at
>ArkivMusic shows.  Does anyone here know any of it?  Any recommendations?
>I assume that it will not closely resemble the piece I happened to hear.

My first encounter with Hahn was a promotional disc of his songs by
Susan Graham and Roger Vignoles on Sony.  I don't listen to songs much,
but these are very special.  I'd recommend a delightful series of short
piano pieces, Le rossignol eperdu, played by Earl Wild on Ivory Classics
and available from Berkshire.  I also have his Piano Concerto (coupled
with Massenet's) and Piano Quintet (coupled with Vierne's), both on
Hyperion: neither is particularly distinctive but it's still music worth
investigating.

>Second question: are there any other suites of (very) old dances by
>composers of the last century comparable to the pieces I have named?

Poulenc's Suite Francaise fits the bill.  There are piano and orchestral
versions of it.

Richard Pennycuick