From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:43:04 -0700
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>[The interesting part of this story is where the Korean organizers
>make their cost public.  I don't think I have ever seen a US
>organization do  that.]

I believe, that as non-profit organizations, their budgets should be up
for public review.  Without naming names, I have had the opportunity to
examine the budgets of some of the middle range organizations.  Also,
the American Symphony Orchestra League publishes the salaries of the
executive directors and conductors of the orchestras.

 From what I have seen over these last few years there is room for some
major rethinking on the part of these organizations.  They are "pushing
the envelope."

Our local orchestra does a fine job at keeping administrative costs
low, but that sense of economy seems to be found primarily with the
organizations in the "hinter lands."

I am reminded of recent New Yorker article where Alex Ross takes a trip
to listen to some orchestras outside the major cities and finds some
great music making.

The more I look at budgets, the more I am convinced that the model
of the arts, music in particular, being the "plaything" of the idle
rich will change.  For that notion is one, which I believe, enables
such outrageous costs.  Perhaps therein lies its chance to survive.
I certainly hope so.

Perhaps it is like it was when record companies would skim the profits
off the popular music sales to support the classical labels.  This no
longer happens.  And, perhaps, as a result, musicians and management
have been willing to compromise costs and a producing recordings which
seem more about the music than the performers.  Maybe if the old patronage
scheme for the ensembles faulters, the costs might become more realistic
and the performances and programming might become more about the music...I
certainly hope so.

Karl