From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 10:47:06 +0200
Ron Chaplin:
>I recently bought Volume 9 of the Mravinsky Edition on Melodya,
>distributed by BMG, 74321 25198 2.  The disc contains live performances
>with the Leningrad Philharmonic of Symphony No. 6 (recorded in 1972) and
>Symphony No. 10 (1976).

>Has anyone else heard this disc?
I have both of these, even if on other releases. Both are at the top of
my "recomended list" for cheer musicality.
>How do these performances compare to others?
There are a few that can compete in Symphony No. 6 (ie. Kondrashin and
Svetlanov..) none in Symphony No. 10! (even if the "new" Ancerl on DGG
originals is close)
>Where do I go from here?
Well most of Mravinsky on CD are live recordings, some with quite marred
sound. If You're hooked on Mravinsky Yoou'll need ayleast two Symphony
No. 5, maby the original 1937 recording (On Japanese BMG) and the 1965 on
Russian disc (note; There have been Russian disc 5's from -65, -66, -73
availible, but I like the -65 best) - You really need the BBC Legends
Symphony No. 8 and the 1957 Symphony No. 11 on Russian disc.

A fine Mravinsky dicography is availible here, if it has not moved:

http://plaza19.mbn.or.jp/~yemravinsky/contents.htm

If you want more general Shostakovich recomendations I'd say get the
Slovak cardbord box from Naxos to get to know the symphonies (or the
Barshai on Brilliant classics) I think that Slovak has less
interpretative quirks than Barshai hence it makes a better way to get
know the symphonies, then when You know what You like You can start
collecting for real (I haven't really made up my mind which are the No.
one choice for each symphony for more than a few of them). Concerto vise
I'm much in favor of Maxim Vengerov's Violin concerti on Teldec,
Rostropovich Cello Concertos on either Russian Disc or EMI and the two
for piano I thoroughly recomend the composer himself on EMI.

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DDS 100 (1906-2006)