From:
Jan Anton Brouwer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:30:17 +0200

Kevin Sutton wrote:

>If you are referring to the ones on EMI, grab em!!!  I find the
>Celi discsto be forces of nature.  They are slow to be sure, but the
>overpowering momentum that he creates and!sustains!  throughout these works
>is breathtaking.  The second movement of the seventh is pure Valhalla!
>(The real one, not Wagner's)

I wholeheartly agree with kevin!  I find especially the second movement of
Celi's seventh more than wonderful.  Take the recapitulation of the main
theme after 7,5 minutes: I always get some spacious visions here, but with
Celi something transcendental.  And the climaxes before the coda are
exactly right!  And also in the Eight symphony the Adagio is something
special under Celi's hands.  In my opinion you must have both Celi
recordings (also the others!), but not the only ones to have.

Jan Anton, Amsterdam