From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:01:10 -0800
David Cozy <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Thus I'd like to hear why, in Jocelyn's opinion, fine writing about the
>arts is, ipso facto, so much less worthy than fine art.

Art exists for its own sake.  Criticism exists to criticize.

John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Jocelyn Wang wrote:
>
>>Whenever critics adopt such a self-inflated role, I cannot help but think
>>of the eunuch analogy.
>
>And what is the eunuch analogy?

I believe it originated with Irish playwright Brendan Behan, although the
analogy obviously caught on.  When asked what he thought of drama critics,
Behan answered, "Critcs are like eunuchs in a harem.  They're there every
night, they see it done every night, they see how it should be done every
night, but they can't do it themselves."

Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
www.bigfoot.com/~CulverMusic