Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:26:45 -0800
Richard Pennycuick writes:

>>I remember reading years ago of a performance in the US, with the audience
>>constantly changing as they had to go to work, sleep or whatever.  One
>>stalwart heard the entire performance, and promptly called, "Encore!"

Er............that stalwart was me.

>>Presumably the pianist was too exhausted to strangle him.

Actually it was a team of pianists put together by Cage and included
such people as Viola Farber, David Del Tredici, John Cale, and one of the
critics from the New York Times (Howard Thompson?) who substituted for an
AWOL pianist.  One of the other Times critics gave him an excellent review.