From:
Bob Yoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:21:52 PDT
I would like to respond to several points.  I actually do believe that
there are conductors today who deserve to be mentioned with the Reiners,
Klemperers, and the Toscaninis.  To me, they are Abbado, Muti, Haitink,
and especially Rattle.  Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the newer
generations of conductors.  They're all starting to sound the same, and
I think the fault should go to the record companies that seem to look for
a certain type and exploit it.  I really can't remember the last time I
bought a new release.  So on some level, I do concede that conductors today
that conductors have lost the individualism that the older conductors had.
They just don't have the same amount of experience - these companies raid
the talent pool too early.  These artists need to develop both their
technique and their style before they try to take on the world.

I also believe that there's a dangerous subliminal message in the current
authentic performance trend.  There's a strong implication that certain
music must be played a certain way.  This also worsens the current
increasing homogenaiety of classical ensembles.

Some orchestras have remained to stand above the crowd and maintain
its individualism.  To this day, no brass section can touch the signature
sound and blend of the Chicago SO.  Berlin and Vienna still have their
unique sounds, Vienna due to their different instruments.  The Russian
orchestras still defy the current trends and the St.  Petersburg, the
Russian National, the Bolshoi, and the Kirov offer the furthest from the
status quo - always a refreshing change of pace.

The biggest thing I miss is the string ensemble playing of the old days.
Wind and brass playing hasn't been better(which the notable exception of
the early Philadelphia wind section).  Bowing today seems to be either
sloppy at its worst and uninventive and boring at its best, again with the
notable exception of the conductors mentioned above.  The fault here, I
think lies in the age of the frequent flyer conductors who don't spend
enough time with their ensembles to refine this.  Again, the four
conductors mentioned above seem to go against the norm and spend
considerable time with their respective ensembles.

I still remain optimistic, since I'm a budding musician and I would like
conditions to get better by the time I enter this dog-eat-dog world of
classical music.  Until then, I'll be spending most of my money in the
historical recordings sections.

Bob Yoon