From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:23:23 -0500
Bob Kasenchak:

>Or even a PhD, or other degree earned; having that manner of addition
>to your name is just an aknowledgement that you went through a lot of
>time, trouble, and training to achieve what you've achieved.  Is is that
>different?

Many of us who have done that would consider it snickeringly stuffy to
insist on it.  As for "Maestro," wasn't it Toscannini who initiated this
appelation? And he meant it too, in common with the other tyrant conductors
of his generation, who attempted to exercise almost a slave-master
relationship over the players.

Jim "As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master" Tobin