From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:38:29 +0000
Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck (1562-1621)
Works for Solo Keyboard
Christopher Herrick, organ
Hyperion 67421/2 [2cds]

Everything seems to be in place here for an excellent Sweelinck listening
experience.  Although the centuries keep chugging forward, Sweelinck
is still considered the finest Dutch composer of classical music.  Too
far back in time to experience much of the "Stylus Phantasticus" which
unchained composers from strict architecture and gave them a free rein
on their creativity, Sweelinck was the essential model used by composers
such as Weckmann and even Buxtehude as the basis for their departure
from very early baroque forms.

Entire discs devoted to the keyboard music of Sweelinck are rare, so
Christopher Herrick is providing fans of Baroque organ music a great
opportunity to hear Sweelinck's artistry.  As some of you already know,
Herrick recently completed his series of Bach organ works on modern
organs for Hyperion.  That was a fine accomplishment, and I am hopeful
that this Sweelinck set will be even more rewarding.  Why?  This time
around, he uses a 17th century Swedish organ that will undoubtedly
present a more idiomatic flavor than the modern organ can possibly muster.
Although some modern organs are built using baroque ones as their model,
there is nothing like the real thing.

Sticking with early organ music, my 'honarable mention' is an Arte Nova
disc of Baroque organ music from Northern Europe.  The organist is Mario
Hospach-Martini and his organ of choice is a Christian Muller organ built
and ready for service in 1727; the organ was restored to its original
form in 1972 by the organ company Bakker and Timminga of Leeuwarden.
The program consists of music by Weckmann, Buxtehude, Scheidemann, and
Reincken (TT - 62:14).  I have heard this disc, and it is a fine and
inexpensive introduction to the organ music of the early Baroque period.

The 'King of Instruments' beckons, so don't be left behind.

Don Satz