From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 06:43:36 -0700
Walter Meyer wrote:

>The first two are both Chopin CDs.  The one I've finished listening to
>contains 12 items, three of which are movements from larger works (the
>two concertos and the funeral march from the second sonata).  The CD
>lists the artists as Pogorelich, Bunin, Argerich, Harasiewicz, Varjon, and
>Jablonski...and fails to identify who plays what.  I suspect many reading
>this would immediately recognize most, if not all, of the artists w/out
>such program guidance, but I confess that I could not.  Nor, on reflection,
>do I really care.  For two bucks, I've just heard some magnificent Chopin.
>(Even my wife thinks it's almost as good as Schubert, on whom she seems to
>have developed a fixation!) (Delta 14 536)

If Delta took concerto movements from the Chopin competitions and these
concerti were the ones that appeared on Laserlight's series on Chopin
competition performers, then Harasiewicz plays Concerto #2 in f, while
Argerich plays the Concerto #1 in e (in a more cautious performance than
normal for her).

Since you like this music and the performers, you might want to try
the Laserlight set of 5 CDs from various competitions, which is also
inexpensive and contains all movements of the concertos.  It costs about
$17 at most places online.  Each CD sells separately for about $3.50

Andrys in Berkeley, CA
http://www.andrys.com/books.html