From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:58:43 -0700
Wes Crone ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Deryk Barker wrote:
>
>>Well, if you are assuming that McCartney wrote every last word and note of
>>the stuff he did with the Beatles, you'll be in error yourself.
>
>Of course Paul did not write EVERY note himself.  Beethoven didn't, and
>Bach didn't.  Mozart didn't and Mahler didn't.  Many of the classic "GREAT"
>composers borrowed a line or a little fragment here and/or there.  You just
>allow them this for the simple reason that you like their music
>more.

Please do not impute motivations to me.  Yes many great composers borrowed
melodies from elsewhere, but that is not at all the same thing.

When McCartney set out to write "classical"  music he knew we was
entering a crowded field, but chose to do it. As a critic I would not
be doing my job if I failed to point out how derivative much of it is.

>...  Paul McCartney was ALREADY a pop icon and so he was and will be
>degraded for even entertaining the thought of wading into the classical
>pool.  Not really fair to Paul.  Sure he is rich and famous but he can
>never attain a fair, listening audience with a ridiculous prevailing
>attitude such as this.

So why did he do it? He didn't need the fame or the fortune.

Deryk Barker