From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:25:15 +1000
Alan Lynn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Along the same lines, a British comedy duo from the 1950's (i think...)
>wrote lyrics for the entire 3rd Mvt.  Rondo of Mozart's 4th Horn Concerto
>which are quite hilarious if I do say so myself.  A performance can be
>found on Erik Ruske's recording of the Mozart concertos with the Scottish
>Chamber Orchestra on Telarc.

Michael Flanders wrote the lyric (called _Ill Wind_); while Donald Swann
made the arrangements.  The original recording is available in an EMI 3
disc set called _The Complete Flanders & Swann_; while the score has also
been published in a F&S anthology.

Best known for their lugubrious _Hippopotamus Song_ (aka _Mud!  Mud!
Glorious Mud!_), Flanders (sng) & Swann (p) jointly produced some of the
funniest lied this century; as well as startlingly serious pieces such as
_Slow Train_; while severally Flanders wrote a popular English narration
for Stravinski's _Soldier's Tale_ while Swann produced a large body of more
traditionally classical lied as well as a number of major choral scores...
none of which (as far as i can tell) have been recorded....

All the best,

Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>