From:
Alastair Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:38:07 +0000
I have started listening to quite a lot of US live and recorded concerts
(via streaming) and am amazed at the generally poor quality of continuity
announcements.  Specifically:

- the announcements are often little more than a recitation of who and
what with frequently slightly hesitant delivery, evidently made by someone
who is not very sure of what they are talking about and is reading from
a script;

- they frequently appear to be recorded from a (separate) studio, so
have a dead acoustic spliced into the more reverberant concert hall
acoustic;

- I have sometimes noted very obvious fades in and out of audience sound;

- on one occasion I heard the announcer say that "I'm not sure whether
that was the correct pronunciation (of the soloist's name), as I didn't
find it out", so mething which would have led to furious complaints here!

At least on BBC Radio 3 the announcer is live, physically in the concert
hall and there is a bit of context given to the work and the performer(s)

Can someone reassure me that there is at least _some_ competent continuity
announcing around?  The wooden offerings described above often put me
off the actual performance.

Alastair