From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 11:38:54 PDT
Some new recordings I'm considering:

1.  Orff's Carmina Burana on DG conducted by Christian Thielemann.  It's
been some time since Thielmann's last recording.  His reviews have been all
over the spectrum, but he has my vote.

2.  Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty on DG conducted by Pletnev.  It received
an excellent review in Gramophone, and I've been impressed with Pletnev's
conducting.  The work is on 2 cd's; Gergiev's recording was on three.

3.  Bach's WTC, Book 2 on Hyperion performed by Angela Hewitt.  She did a
very fine job with Book 1, and Hyperion piano recordings always provide
excellent sound.

4.  Nystedt sacred choral music on ASV.  This would be my first Nystedt
recording.

5.  Fernstrom's 12th symphony on BIS.  I enjoyed his string quartet disc on
Marco Polo very much.

Don Satz