From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 16:00:09 -0500
Steve Schwartz:

>His Mahler 4th is far better than any of Bernstein's goes.  Details
>provided on request.

I have never been happy with the final movement of Bernstein's first (?)
recording, even though I understand the rationale for the abrupt shifts;
it just doesn't sound right compared to, say, Hohrenstein's ot Tennstedt's.
I'd like to hear your reasons, though.

>Furthermore, the NY Phil, while he was music director, generally hated
>Bernstein.

This doesn't square with my understanding, based on, admittedly limited,
accounts from no later than Boulez' tenure there.  The players were
referred to as "Lenny's boys," and I never understood a double-entendre
there.

Jim