From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:50:39 +1000
I've had a chance to listen to the Naxos 4th and Prodigal Son.  It's
interesting to be able to listen to both works from the same CD as
Prokofiev used much of The Prodigal Son in the 4th.  The symphony is
very aggressively recorded in a very resonant location.  It's the Op
112 version which is longer than the Op 47 and has some differences which
are not particularly noticeable.  I like the performance and the resonant
sound which might not be to everyone's taste.  A friend who owns the Naxos
coupling of the 3rd and 7th likes the 3rd very much and regards the 7th as
a performance you could live with.

I'm reminded of an oddity regarding the 7th.  The first version of this
I bought was a Supraphon with the Czech Philharmonic conducted by one N P
Anosov whose work I've never otherwise encountered - perhaps he fell out
of favour with Khrennikov.  The last movement ends quietly, on a note of
resignation.  When I eventually heard another version some years later,
I was startled to find a short whirlwind coda following what I thought
was the end, and have not heard another version without it.  In all other
respects, the versions seem to be identical.  Does anyone know anything
of different versions of the 7th and whether they were sanctioned by
Prokofiev?

Richard Pennycuick