From:
Donald Scarinci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 06:09:13 EDT
I will make an admission right here.  I can't stand to listen to opera.
I've tried and I just can't get through the language or the hooky subjects.
The music isn't right for me either when I just true to listen to the
music.  And when I consider voice as music, my human inclination to focus
on the voice (like looking at a landscape with a person painted in it
forces you to focus on the person) just prevails.  I've been to three
operas and I fell asleep all three times.

On the other hand, I love symphony.  When Beethoven uses voice in the 9th,
its powerful stuff.  I even like choral music.  Its just the opera that I
can't handle.  So I guess the point of this admission is that I can
understand opera people not liking non-opearetic concert music.

I hope everyone doesn't take my head off for coming out of the closet about
opera.

Donald Scarinci