From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:30:48 -0400
Deryk Barker wrote concerning Satz's lack of enthusiasm for Beethoven's 8th
symphony.  In fact, Don suggested it was Beethoven biggest failure.

>>Don, I have the terrible feeling that you're not joking."
>
>Although I don't want Deryk having any bad feelings, I have to admit that
>I am not joking."
>
>>It's B's most humourous symphony too."
>
>Since I don't like humor in music, that aspect is a negative for me.  The
>best I can do, and I will do it, is re-visit the 8th heavily.  I'll try
>Harnoncourt, Gardiner, Norrington, and Muti; I like those cycles very
>much.

To which I suggest--

Confusion (sick) say: He who not like humor in music probably not like
humor in life, too.  He probably play a wind instrument because he have
the baggage.

Forget finding an interpretation that might rescue the mighty Eighth for
you.  If you don't like humor, you won't find anything redeeming in that
symphony, THANK GOD!

Disclaimer: This is not intended as a personal attack.  But life is like
football.  You left such a gapping hole in your defense.  You gotta expect
me to try to make a little yardage.  Since you don't like humor you might
miss this whole thing anyway, which is just as well.

Life without humor would be as unbearable as life without Beethoven.
Are you listening, Billy?

Reviving "the Lawn Guyland Curmudgeon" for this occasion.