From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:24:26 -0500
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I heard McKinley's 6th symphony on the radio from a tape of a concert in
>Prague Castle, the connection being that the symphony is subtitled
>Prague.  A bit of research revealed that his 5th is subtitled Irish, and
>that a clarinet concerto and an overture have also been recorded.  As
>he's new to me, I'd appreciate a quick assessment of his oeuvre, or a
>URL that might help.

There is wealth of his music recorded. I have listened to a fair amount
of it as I am on the mailing list for the label that carries most of his
music. However I need to add that I have rarely listened to any work more
than once and rarely has any of the music held my attention for very long.

My own perspective is that his music is reasonably well written. I find it
derivative and lacking personality. Only one or two works, one of the
symphonies, seemed particulary interesting.

Karl