From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:05:19 -0500
Steve Schwartz wrote about the contemporary symphony,

>Nevertheless, the talk of relevance as a criterion misleads a bit.  What
>we need is not a way toward relevance, but someone to write terrific
>symphonies.

I do not own a relevance meter. I do have, between my ears, an "Interesting,
Provocative, and Worth Hearing Again Meter." (IPW for short.) My IPW is
almost certainly not equivalent in all ways to Steve's or anyone else's,
but I suspect that there may be considerable overlap.  Note that an IPW
is not identical with a "Masterpiece Detector" (MD).  THAT I do not have.
The symphonies I listed have substantial IPW ratings from my IPW.  How
about some more nominations from you enthusiasts out there?

Bernard Chasan