From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:44:38 +0000
Richard Ujvary writes:

>I always wonder why I like specific composers and it usually boils down to
>the fact that I'd probably be very great friends with them if given the
>opportunity.  I can see that we'd "get along".

Although an interesting premise that I'd like to believe, I remain
skeptical.  I doubt that being on the same musical wavelength as another
individual extends to similarities in other personality traits.  Even if
it did, people often hate to be around others just like them.

As an example, I wanted a life partner very different from myself.  If I
had married a similar type, the divorce likely would have been within the
first few months of marriage.  Actually, I can't think of a single person
who shares my musical preferences that I've ever been good friends with.
In fact, the sole individual on any discussion list I am a member of who
shares my preferences irks me on a regular basis.  This is a case where
'opposites attract'.

I can and do fantasize about spending a few days with Bach on his
homefront, but that's just fantasy.  His strong religious views which
greatly impacted how he lived his life would probably drive me nuts.

Of course, this is all speculation.  We can come up with any scenario we
like, and nobody can prove us wrong.  So I'm off to dinner at Bach's; I
hope he sets a place for me at the table.

Don Satz