From:
Hitoshi Asaoka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 18:22:54 -0500
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Here's some new releases that a few list members might be interested in:
>
>An ECM release of two piano music by Reger, Mozart, and Busoni.  Artists
>are Peter Serkin and Andras Schiff.  Busoni and Schiff does sound odd.

I am truly excited to learn this news!  Serkin and Schiff played those
works together in Minneapolis about a year ago.  That was the first time
for me to hear Schiff in live performance, and since then he becomes my
most favorite pianist.  They played the following:  Mozart Fugue in C
minor K.426 and Busoni's magestic Fantasia Contrappuntistica for 2 pianos,
Reger's Variations and fugue on a Theme of Mozart.

Considering Serkin and Schiff's attachment to Bach (and fugue style),
this combination is not as odd as it seems, I think.  In live performance,
Schiff dominated everything.  But Serkin's reliable support (it was like
Rabinovitch) was also impressive.

*** Hitoshi Asaoka ([log in to unmask]) ***