From:
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:26:21 -0800
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]> sent:

>Pettersson seems an inspired choice.  Each symphony is but a contribution
>to what amounts to a glorious unequalled cosmic qvetch.  Someone else
>suggested Conlon Nancarrow- also a good fit.

I love the "cosmic kvetch" allusion, but I can't put Pettersson in the
Chekhov box because to me, his 7th symphony is significantly greater
than the others.  On the other hand, his style is special, making him
in my book a greater composer than, say, Vagn Holmboe, whose wonderfully
crafted, but too Hindemithian music makes him less of a standout--though
still a possible nominee for the C-box.

Jon Leifs might be another one, except that "Hekla" is a standout.

I don't think any really great composer can fit in the C-box, almost
by definition.

Jeff Dunn
Alameda, CA