From:
Hi-Do Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:32:19 -0500
I found the following 6-CD set at a Korean internet CD shop at a quite
reasonable price (around U$36) and was wondering if it's worth
investigating.

* CD TItle: Edward Elgar/Symphonies & Orchestral Works
* Conductor: Sir Adrian Boult
* Orchestra: London Philharmonic Orchestra
* Label: EMI (Made in Japan)
* Content:
 - CD 1: Symphony #1; Cockaigne Overture
 - CD 2: Symphony #2; Symphonic Prelude Op.76
 - CD 3: Enigma Variations; Pomp & Circumstance Marches
 - CD 4: First Suite Op.1A; Second Suite Op.1B; Bavarian Dances Op.27;
         Froissart Overture
 - CD 5: Falstaff; Grania and Diarmid, incidental music Op.42
 - CD 6: Serenade for Strings; Elegy; Dream Children; Carillon; Caractacus
         Cantata; Imperial March; Chanson de nuit; Chanson de matin;
         Light of Life Oratorio

The website doesn't give me a lot of details about the recordings.  It only
says that these are MONO recordings, but I am not even sure if that applies
to all the works in the CD set.

Gramophone seems to think the world of Sir Adrian's interpretation of Elgar
works.  And I would be most interested to find out whether this version
will be the clincher for me, since I have been rather disappointed with Sir
Georg Solti's interpretation of the two symphonies.  Any comments that
might help me make a purchase decision are most welcome.  Thanks in
advance!

Hi-Do
Seoul, Korea