From:
Alastair Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 20:41:18 +0000
Karl Miller wrote:

>Alastair Scott wrote:
>
>>It would seem that the heyday of classical music was when radio was the
>>driving force (1930s and 1940s); certainly, in my opinion, it would seem
>>that those who promote classical music have never really understood a
>>more visual age and that has led to its present difficulties.
>
>Not quite sure I understand your point.  Could you elaborate?

In one sentence: there is no CTV (MTV with a classical focus) ...!

Like it or lump it, the presentation of a lot of things has become more
visually oriented in recent decades - for example, I remember the fuss
when colour photographs first appeared in newspapers here about twenty
years ago - and a medium which doesn't recognise that change is, by
default, bound to appear old-fashioned and "slow".

PS My thoughts are not original; Joanna MacGregor, at least in this
country, was one of the first to articulate them and is much more eloquent
than me.  See <http://www.soundcircus.com/>

Alastair