From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:51:35 -0400
During a trip to Tower today, was very pleased to see the arrival of
vol. 6 of the Kodaly Quartet's cycle of Schubert string quartets on
Naxos.  This was, I thought, the final disc in the series.  When I got
home, I realized that Quartet No. 5 is not to be found on any of the six
discs.  So I have to ask: Is Schubert's SQ5 known by another name, like
the 14th is called Death and the Maiden?  The disc I bought today has
SQ15, coupled with the five German dances; there would have been plenty
of room on this disc for SQ5.  What about other ensembles' complete
recordings of the Schubert SQs; do any of them extend to more than six
discs?  Maybe I have another disc, containing SQ5, to look forward to;
or maybe it's already out there.

I have the feeling that I just asked one of those embarrassing
questions.

Mitch Friedfeld