From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 09:49:10 -0500
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I take it from this that it is legal in the US to own a CD which
>contravenes US copyright, as long as it was not bought in the US.
>If that's the case, the laws are indeed stupid!

Strictly speaking it is illegal to own a CD which contravenes US copyright
and it is illegal for a non-US vendor to ship it to you.  In a sense,
you become the importer.  However, the law cannot be enforced.  For me,
an unenforceable law is stupid.

So, strictly speaking, when you import one of those Naxos historical
issues not available in the US, I believe you are indeed in violation
of US copyrights.

Karl