From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:10:10 -0500
Mike Leghorn writes:

>Popular music can be appreciated (for what it's worth, which isn't much,
>if you ask me) immediately upon first hearing.  It doesn't strive to reveal
>a story or a larger structure.  All that you need to hear can be heard in
>the first few seconds.

Part of the reason classical music is so unpopular is that its fans are so
often so gratuitously dismissive of popular music.  (Can you say "snob", or
"elitist" which seems to be the current synonym?) Every statement above is
demonstrably false.  Just as not every classical work is a masterpiece, not
every pop song is a masterpiece, but length has little if anything to do
with it.  And just because not every work is a masterpiece doesn't there
are no great works within the genre.  Your ignorance of the genre is
obvious.

len.