From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:11:44 -0800
A splendid fellow has sent me a bunch of LPs for free in exchange for
dubbing them onto CD for him.  I am especially pleased with a Canadian
record of two string quartets by John Weinzweig and Jean Papineau-Couture,
composers I had never even heard of.  Great fun!

But one of the interesting items is a mono Epic LP (LC 3386) which is
said to be the first-ever recording of Mendelssohn's quartet Op.  80,
by the Manoliu Quartet.  So who were they?  Disgracefully, neither the
sleeve nor the label says anything about them.  I've poked around on the
Net and I suppose the leader might be violinist George Manoliu, who
taught at the Bucharest Conservatoire.  Does anybody know any more?

Apologies for cross posting to two lists, but I wanted to reach as many
brains as possible!

Donald Clarke