From:
Arri Bachrach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:03:53 -0500
I live in NYC, hardly a "backwater of culture"...  we have one NPR station
and since 9-11 it has drastically cut down on classical music.

I think we have to realize and accept the fact that classical music is
"culture" to a very small fraction of the population.  Many classical
musicians, and I know and play with more than a few (professional and
amateur) are NOT "cultured" individuals EXCEPT for the fact that they
are musicians or music lovers.  And to many highly if not most educated
people , classical music means nothing.

It takes a special talent to appreciate classical music or play an
instrument and the vast majority of people are not "musical" as I
understand it.

So why should NPR concentrate on classical music when most who listen
are not musically inclined??

I, for one am very upset but not surprised that my local NPR has cut
down on classical music.

AB