From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:22:54 -0700
Donald Satz wrote:

>There's an alarming trend on this list.  All of a sudden, list members
>are referring to conductors as "maestro".  Sorry, but I can't abide a
>designation that has a larger than life or royal aura to it.  What I really
>can't comprehend is how a reasonable person who is aware of his/her human
>qualities and happens to be a conductor could possibly want to possess that
>designation.

How I agree with you.  There surely cannot be many conductors now who
insist on being called that, can there?

I recall a story told about Nigel Kennedy.  He was in Berlin and invited
to lunch with a very famous conductor (no name given but we can use our
imaginations).  He was told that under no circumstances must he call the
conductor anything other than "Maestro" so he duly obliged, "Yes, Maestro",
"No, Maestro", "Of course, Maestro", "How interesting, Maestro", he went on
at each point in the conversation.  At one point the waiter leaned over and
asked if he would like some more coffee to which Kennedy replied: "Oh, yes
please, Maestro!"

Tony Duggan
Staffordshire,
United Kingdom.