From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 22:44:17 +0000
Emily Ezust writes in reference to the Marx String Quartets disc on ASV:

>You might also enjoy his Nature Trilogy (orchestral works) also on ASV
>which I got at BRO
>and I notice is still there.

I happily acquired a few months ago the Nature Trilogy disc on the basis
of the exceptional string quartets on ASV, but I didn't stay happy for
long.  I realize that my opinion is in the minority, but I find "Nature
Trilogy" so lacking in contrast and tension that boredom quickly sets
it.  Also, the climaxes just sound totally contrived to my ears.  Although
nature offers us a full spectrum of conditions, Marx apparently only
wanted to give us the positive elements.

I reviewed the disc for MusicWeb, and the two other reviews on the site
were highly complimentary of the music.  At any rate, those who tend to
be in sympathy with my opinions should think twice before coughing up
the cash for the Nature disc.  On the other hand, BRO prices are so low
that very little coughing is needed.

Don Satz