From:
William Copper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:05:41 -0800
Following are some very interesting programming suggestions.  Thanks to
all!  I, for one, am going to be using the Schumann suggestion, and the
other ideas have great potential too.  The initial request sought works
for chorus with piano, 4 hands, to be programmed with Lovelife Dances,
SATB, 24 minutes, an English poetry modern Liebeslieder Waltzes update.
If the plain text formatting is hard to read, email me for a MS Word or
Html version.

Ilan Glasman wrote:

>Once I programmed PDQ Bach - Liebeslieder Polkas with the Brahms. Then,
>after we cleaned up all the tomatoes...... another time I had other
>Brahms secular choral songs (2 cycles).

>(.. Liebeslieder Polkas and ...) Rob Landes' Images (a jazz set of 4
>delightful movements which has nothing to do with text except the
>movement "No Words," which uses a few). We sang this grouping last year
>with the Brahms set at Piccolo Spoleto in Charleston. The Landes' group
>calls for jazz piano, percussion and bass.
Jo Ann D. Poston, conductor  Lexington (NC) Choral Society Director of
Music, First Presbyterian Church

>I've always been very fond of Schumann's Spanisches Liederspiel, for
>piano, solos, and various choral ensembles. It's hardly ever done,
>mostly, I think, because the Liebeslieder Waltzes has crowded it out.
>... other pieces: 4 Madrigals by Libby Larsen, some choral Lieder by
>Fanny Mendelssohn, Vaughan Williams's "See the chariot at hand"
Steve Schwartz

>Voces Novae et Antiquae did a program entitled *Love/Song/Dances* a few
>years  ago, programming the Brahms Op. 52 with: Alice Parker:
>*Songstream* SATB, Piano 4 Hands, Galaxy/ECS  Gregg Smith: *Scenes of
>Love: An American Liebeslieder* SATB, Piano 4 hands (Lawson-Gould) PDQ
>Bach: *Liebeslieder Polkas* (Presser; needs no further introduction. .
>.)  The concert was a tad long but very successful. I would guess some
>combination of the above three pieces might work well with *Lovelife
>Dances*.
Robert Ross, Artistic Director  Voces Novae et Antiquae, Philadelphia, PA

>"Songs of Life and Love" is scored for SATB and Piano. It consists of
>four settings (three are arrangements and one original) of folk
>melodies: 1. Blow the wind southerly (SATB) 2. If ever I marry (TBarB -
>original music) 3. Open the door softly (SSAA) 4. Dance to your daddy
>(SATB).
>
>The set was composed to a commission by St Louis Metro 8 District for
>their Honor Choir in 1988 when I lived there. The reception at its first
>performance in St Louis was overwhelming. The students took ownership of
>the music and sang magnificently. The audience reception was also
>terrific and led to many further performances in various parts of the
>USA, Australia and UK. Numbers 3 and 4 are published as separate
>octavos by Alliance Music, Houston, TX.
Stuart McIntosh  Director of Music - Kent College, Canterbury

>Come to me, My Love Dello Joio, Norman Marks/Hal Leonard
>Text based on the poem "Echo" by Christina Rosetti.   A very sensitive
>and expressive setting of a powerful text of love that goes beyond even
>death.
Steve Szalaj  Crystal Lake, IL

>We gave a very successful concert in 1999 under the banner East meets
>West - A Concert of Contrasts
>The programme  Pt 1(West) - Brahms - Love Song Waltzes  Pt 2 (East) -
>Borodin - Polovtsian Dances   Kodaly - Pange Lingua   Dvorak - Te Deum
Chris Banting  West Somerset Singers (UK)

>Paul Sjolund's "Love Lost." A cappella, 4-5 very brief, tongue-in-cheek
>lessons on love. Texts by Dorothy Parker -- so you can only imagine!
>They are quite clever.
>(I have programmed them with the Brahms, by the way; quite a contrast,
>but fun!)
Linda Duffendack Mays Director of Music, The Church of Our Saviour, San
Gabriel, CA

Details from the notes above and other possibilities:

"Title"                       Author             Voice, Accomp (Publisher)

"7 Poems of Robert Bridges" Finzi, Gerald      SATB, Piano (Boosey & Hawkes)
"Cats Friends and Lovers"   Paulus, Stephen    SA (Paulus Publications)
"Come to me, my love"       Dello Joio, Norman SATB (Marks/Hal Leonard)
"Come to me, oh my love"    Petker, Allan      SAB, Piano (Hinshaw Music)
"The Dance of Love"         Bristol, Doug      SSAA, Rhythm (UNC Jazz Press)
"Five Love Songs"           Grieg, Edvard      SATB (Shawnee Press)
"Five Love Songs"           Thompson, Randall  SATB (ECS Publishing)
"Four Madrigals"            Larsen, Libby      SATB (?)
"Images"                    Landes, Rob        SATB, Rhythm (?)
"Liebeslieder Polkas"       Bach, PDQ          SATB, Piano (Presser)
"Love Lost"                 Sjolund, Paul      SATB (Walton Music)
"Love Songs for Springtime" Halley, Paul       SATB (Warner Brothers)
"Lovelife Dances"           Copper, William    SATB, Piano 4 Hd (Hartenshield)
"The Mask"  (song cycle)    Bolcom, William    SATB, Piano (Hal Leonard)
"On Flowers and Love" (cycle) Fissinger, Edwin SATB (Walton Music)
"Sad and Gladness" (cycle)  Berger, Jean    ???  (Broude Bros)
"Scenes of Love"            Smith, Gregg       SATB, Piano 4 Hd (Lawson Gould)
"See the Chariot at Hand"   Vaughan Williams   SATB (?)
"The Seeds of Love"         Vaughan Williams   TTBB, Piano (ECS Publishing)
"Songs of Life"             Kirk, Theron    ???  (Walton Music)
"Songs of Life and Love"    McIntosh, Stuard   SATB, Piano (Alliance Music)
"Songstream"                Parker, Alice      SATB (ECS Publishing)
"Spanisches Lieberspiel"    Schumann, Robert   SATB, Piano (Public Domain)

William Copper, composer of Lovelife Dances
http://www.hartenshield.com/lovelife.html