From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 11:55:56 -0700
Jeremey McMillan <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I'm just about to turn 17.  I have a friend that thinks I am really lame
>because I chose to buy a CD featuring Beethoven's "Emporer", concerto
>instead of a rap CD.  ...

I know from whence you come, as I am 23 years old, and went through the
same experiences not many years ago.  A good reply to your friends might
be something along the lines of, "So you mean you have closed yourself off
to music that is inspired by genius and actually requires some thought to
grasp? Maybe you lack the attention span to listen to music that lasts more
than three minutes or was written before you were born? Or it could be that
you just don't want to listen to something that is not on the pop charts?
 Or are you just condemning something about which you know nothing-- after
all, do you even own a classical CD?" This may get them to listen for as
long as their attention spans will allow (probably three minutes or less)
just to show a pretense that they are open to a modicum of cultural
experience, but obviously won't convert them to the classics, which isn't
necessarily the aim anyway.  But it might keep them off your backs.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: http://members.xoom.com/culvermusic/