From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:06:55 -0500
Richard Pennycuick writes:

>Anyone with an urge to acquire the Myaskovsky concerto, or another
>version of it, might also be interested in Naxos's coupling of it with
>the Vainberg Violin Concerto.  I've seen only one pretty positive review
>of this, and it made no mention of the Repin CD for comparison.  To
>complicate matters, Chandos has started a series of Vainberg's symphonies,
>using the Weinberg spelling, and the violin concerto might also turn up
>there.

I don't understand this Vainberg business.  I have listened to a fair
amount of his music because the cd buyer at the Brookline Public Library
is clearly a Vainberg fan. If I did know any better (and I am not sure
that I do) I might think that Vainberg is a nom de Plume for Shostakovich.
Are there any other situations in classical music where two composers
sounded so alike in their mature careers?  Or do I just need my ears
cleaned?

Bernard Chasan