From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 10:57:05 -0700
Stuart Sinclair wrote:

>Wow!  what a piece of music.!!!  I have only listened to a snippet so far.
>I checked out of the library Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony.  also
>on this are Bernstein`s Chichester Psalms.  Can any one reccomend other
>recordings of Belshazzar`s Feast that they particularly enjoy?

I fell in love with this piece when we (SF Symphony Chorus) performed it.
I think Luxon was the singer, though it might have been only the St.
Matthew he sang with us rather than both.

David Wilcox, with Philharmonia and Bach Choir, on Chandos.  Advantage:
All of Walton's major choral works on one disc.  I've not heard it.

Richard Hickox, with LSO and Chorus, on EMI.  I tend to like his
recordings, though as a chorister, I and others found him unsubtle in
his conducting technique.  He tends to get very good results though.
His chorus and orchestra sound very good in this.

Simon Rattle, with the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and
Chorus, on EMI, gets a "spectacular" from David Hurwitz, who runs
http://www.classicstoday.com - a very useful site.  I haven't heard it.

I have the Andrew Litton, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, with Bryn Terfel,
on London (seems not easily available anymore) and while I do like it, I
liked more a very heartfelt version I heard on my FM station last year, and
that was the one with Luxon singing.

Deryk's recommendation of "Last Night of the 100th Season of the Proms
(1994) BBC SO/Andrew Davis" CD is readily available on Teldec.

There's also one by Sir Alexander Gibson and the Scottish National
Orchestra and Chorus, on Chandos, at Borders.  Sherrill Milnes in 1992 --
not his best year, but I haven't heard it.

Borders will special-order the Previn-Luxon 1997 domestic re-issue
(1992 import reissue isn't available).  It seems you could also get the
non-domistic one at European or Canadian stores, but I haven't checked my
searchboxes for those stores yet.

Andrys
http://andrys.com/books.html
Classical-music vendor-searchboxes