From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:34:49 -0400
Doug Purl wrote:

>I regret that my experience has not made me sanguine about very many human
>attributes.  However, I think back to 1950, when Americans were not simply
>not ashamed of their racism and narrow-mindedness, but quite proud of their
>attitudes.  A sea-change has overtaken us since then.

Ah yes, the Bostonians.  When Symphony Hall was built in 1900 there were
recesses above the 2nd balcony.  It turned out it was felt they needed to
be blocked for acoustical reasons and statues were placed in front of these
recessed panels.  Oh my god, the statues were naked.  It is said there was
a strong lobby among Boston art patrons to dress the statues.  Fortunately,
the problem was studied and the statues left alone.

To all of you on your next visit to Symphony Hall, no staring.

"Tom Connor" <[log in to unmask]>