From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 19:44:47 -0500
Bob Kasenchak asks:

>Me again.  Having a heck of a time with Galuppi Sonatas.  Various sources
>claim he wrote 50, 90 or over 100 harpsichord sonatas, there appears to
>be no numbering system, opus numbers, or thematic catalog that I can find.
>Does anyone know anything at all about Galuppi? There are a few recordings
>but I have none on hand.  Are they numbered? Is there a thematic index?
>Even a web search turned up precious little information.

I know nothing about the numbering, etc. But I do know that I have several
recordings of one of my pianistic idols, Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli,
playing the Sonata No. 5 in C. An absolutely delightful rococo sonata.

It's interesting that the 1954 Grove - the only one to hand - mentions not
one word about his compositions for keyboard, talking only about his renown
as an opera composer.

Scott Morrison