From:
Paul Silverthorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:42:12 -0800
Iskender Savasir wrote:

>Again just a few tidbits...  Bach, uses lento marking three times in his
>solo pieces for cello (the sarbands), but never in solo violin pieces
>the violin (largo is pereferred there).  ...

Sorry to be a pedant, but Bach (or at least his wife Anna M whose copy
provides the source) gave no tempo indications in any of the 'cello
suites only the names of the dances.  Your 'Lentos' must be editorial.
Bach does however use Largo once in the 3rd solo violin sonata.

I have always felt as a player that Largo had more to do with manner
than tempo, whereas Lento does simply mean 'slow'.

Paul Silverthorne
Principal Viola - London Symphony Orchestra
Principal Viola - London Sinfonietta
Professor of Viola - Royal Academy of Music - London
www.paulsilverthorne.com