text/plain (27 lines)
David Stewart went to the prom:

>But to the main question I wanted to ask: Boulanger.  Had never heard of
>him (or her?) before tonight.  It was suggested (by me) that this person
>was an impressionist.  Is this right? I find it hard to tell for sure
>because of the very emotional nature of the text (Psalm 130 or 24 whichever
>is longest).  The harmony however seemed to have a Debussyan colour to it
>(more so in the shorter of the two).

There were 2 Boulangers, and they were both "hers": Lili & Nadia.  Lili (1893-1918) died young and was the more prolific composer.  Nadia (1887-1979) lived forever and was a great pedagogue, everyone, and I mean -everyone- seems to have gone to France to study with her at some point, from Copland to Cowell, the list goes on & on & on...she also composed, not too much, gave it up for a while, and IIRC took composing back up in the 60s.  I wonder what piece you heard by which sister?

>Other thing was, on the radio, I heard 'Eternity Sunrise' by Taverner.
>having read some witty person's recipe for creating a piece of
>post-modernist music, did I correctly identify this as post-modernism?
>It was a waste of time whatever it was.

Yup.

>I have better things to do than
>listen to a soprano screaming over the top of a few cheesy chords.

My [proverbial] cat has better things to do, too.
Check out the Boulangers sometime, though, they are/were an interesting musical family.

Bob K.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !

ATOM RSS1 RSS2