From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 00:19:02 -0500
Karl Miller:

>There are times that I think music might be better served by not having
>programs at concerts so one could listen without as many expectations...

This raises so many questions and variables, about both people and works:

There are so many different kinds of listeners, with the full range of
general knowledge and specific acquaintance with pieces.  For some, to
leave prejudices behind would undoubtedly be a good thing.  Some others,
on hearing the first bars, would surely have an "Oh, no, not this again"
reaction.  In both cases a fresh interpretation and performance might
happily defeat expectations.  But still others, with open minds and
little acquaintance with a work, might simply have too much to process
to get a decent handle on the work.  In the case of a new or unfamiliar
work, it can make a difference to know if it is, just for instance, an
unterrupted work of ten minutes duration or a long work with several
contrasing sections.  And good program notes--or live pre-concert
commentary--can create landmarks to listen for along the way.

>and that reviewers would be sent recordings without performers being
>named.   I wonder about how we might listen differently without such
>information.

As in blind auditions.  But those are done to ensure fairness on an equal
playing field.  With newcomers or not well known soloists this might be
a good thing.  But with established soloists anticipation of a certain
kind of playing or degree of brilliance can be confirmed or defeated on
a particular occasion for the informed critic or listener, so the review
might suffer in these cases.

Jim Tobin