From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 03:27:14 -0400
Jos replies to Don's claim that:

>>Sweelinck is still considered the finest Dutch composer
>>of classical music.
>
>By some Don, by some....
>Here's a list of Dutch composers that deservedly would be as widely known
>as some others if e.g.  Naxos was not an American label:

It's not, is it?  Isn't it sort of ex-Hong Kong, now-New Zealander ...or
a multinational?  But to my knowledge it's not USAmerican, nor American
in harking from anywhere in the Americas.

>Willem Pijper, Matthijs Vermeulen, Hendrik Andriessen, Henk Badings, Ton
>de Leeuw, Louis Andriessen, Peter Schat, Lex van Delden, Rudolf Escher,
>Geert van Keulen, Tristan Keuris and so on and so on.  definetely all
>of export quality.

I'd place Pijper first too; truly outstanding, yet nearly unknown abroad.
I'd say much the same about Leo Smit (1900-1943), despite his tiny output,
given his years.  Among the others that have made it to CD, though perhaps
not in the league of those you mention, esp.  the Andriessens, van Delden,
nor de Leeuw: Oscar van Hemel (1892-1981), Rosy Wertheim (1888-1949) and
Ignace Lilien (1897-1964).

Bert Bailey