From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:31:46 -0800
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> "The Voyevoda" is another lesser-known work, also based on poetry, this
> time Mickiewicz's by way of Pushkin; the theme of which is jealousy and
> murder.  ...

Tchaikovsky had an earlier attempt at Voyevoda, Opus 3, an overture and
some other bits survive, and it's really quite nice, but recordings are
extremely rare.  There was one on Vox, Bamberg S.O.  With Janos Furst,
which I don't think does it justice.  I had one 50 years ago on a budget
mail-order LP (Musical Masterpiece Society?) which was much more exciting.

Donald