From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 18:10:28 -0700
Janos Gereben ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Until and unless you hear a definitive performance of "General William
>Booth Enters Into Heaven," you cannot really know what *American opera*
>could (and should) be.
>
>This is unrestrained, abandoned musical drama with a uniquely, inimitably
>American sound-and-feel.  It is Charles Ives coming home, almost a century
>late.

I have never heard a performance to match to old Greg Smith Singers
one, can't remember who the soloist was, but that was unbuttoned and
then some.

>Band," after the sublime "The Housatonic at Stockbridge," played by the
>orchestra in a white heat, ditto for "Putnam's Camp" (to be replaced by
>"Three Places in New England" at two of the three upcoming repetitions of
>the concert (Oct.  1, 2, and 3).

Small clarification: The Places actually consists of The Housatonic +
Putnam's Camp + The St. Gaudens, Boston Common (or is it the other way
around?). I imagine you know this, but your sentence could be read a
different way.

Deryk Barker