From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 19:11:11 -0500
Joel Hill:

>I forgot to mention that in addition to T L-Shaped Room, Bravo is also
>showing "Mahler" on October 6, 7, 22 and 23.  This is Ken Russell's 1994
>film ...
>
>Don't know anything about it, but I am sure that other Listers do.

I actually saw it in a theater when it came out.  Horrible, although not
consistently so.  Brilliant images jostle with unintentionally hilarious
(but dead serious in intent) ones.  As for its view of Mahler, it's kind
of out to lunch.  Ken Russell has a bug in his ear about How Great Artists
are Selfish Pigs and How They Bring Misery to Themselves and Those Around
Them.  Every one of his mature (and I use the word loosely) films on
artists has been this same story.  Only the actors and the names of the
characters change.  Why he is so attracted to this idea is probably a
matter more for a shrink than for a critic.

Steve Schwartz